Armed once more with Illustrator and a color printer, plus scissors, a glue stick, and x-acto knife, I started in on making favors for this weekend’s baby shower. (You may already have read about the invitations and note cards, and caught my honey pot tutorial from yesterday, but in case you didn’t, there are the links for you.)
I started with boxes of Glorybee “Honeystix.” (Side note for a pleased customer testimonial: I ordered them last Wednesday because normal shipping with UPS would take “5-7 business days for arrival.” During checkout, I added a note that I hoped they would arrive by this Friday. I got a phone call the next day, first letting me know that they were out of lemon-flavored honey sticks, so I substituted blackberry flavored, then telling me that since it was a relatively small shipment, they would send it by Priority Mail so that I would get it sooner, and, incidentally, save three dollars off of shipping. The package came on Monday but I wasn’t home, so I picked it up at the post office on Tuesday.)
We had planned on four honey sticks per person (two clover, one peach, one blackberry), so I measured the honey sticks and figured out that I would need to make a 7.25″ x 1.5″ sleeve or envelope to hold the honey sticks. Then I fired up Illustrator and designed the envelope. Starting with a 7.25″ x 1.5″ rectangle, I added a baby bee stock vector graphic, the daisies that I had made from the invitation, and some custom-drawn honey pots. I added some envelope-shapes around the rectangle and put a larger version of my daisy on the “flap” of the envelope.
I printed out one test to check the colors and actually cut it out and taped it together to make sure it would work. The size was fine, but I found it hard to fold the long sides without making the envelope crooked or wrinkled. I moved the side flap shapes away from the main rectangle about one or two pixels so that there would be a fine white line to act as a guide for me. I also thought it would be cute to have some sort of cut-out shape in the middle so that you could see the honey sticks inside, so I added a heart.
I duplicated the envelope to make two on a page, then printed out ten copies. I used a paper cutter to slice away the long edges, then hand-cut the rounded portions with scissors and cut out the heart with an x-acto knife. Using my fine white lines as guides, I folded the edges and glue-sticked them shut, then glued the bottom flap and creased the top flap. The photo below shows the boxes of honey sticks, my printed envelopes, one cut out, and one folded:
In this photo, I’ve started to fill some of the sleeves with honey sticks. I was happy that I had ended up with the blackberry flavored sticks instead of lemon, because it made for a colorful and pretty mixture.
Here is a close-up of the sleeve — I used the stock baby bee vector graphic I had used for the thank-you cards (after adding a “shadow” shape to help anchor it down) and scattered my Illustrator-drawn daisies about. The “Thanks” uses Scriptina font and the other text is in Myriad. You can see the heart cut-out with pretty honey sticks behind it pretty well.
This next photo shows the other half — you can see my custom-drawn honey pots explaining what kinds of honey are included, as well as the big daisy on the flap of the back side of the envelope.
Of course, I had to stage a picture of all the completed honey stick packets:
I’m glad this was for a relatively small baby shower (I made 20 packets). I like making things with my hands, but doing any more and my neck would have cramped up from leaning over so much!