Three posts in one day is a lot even for me, but here’s my weekly update…
- Monday, I trimmed off the final loose ends on the Big Project. Hooray!!!
- Tuesday, I felt VERY UNMOTIVATED.
- My solution — a “new system:” Getting Things Done. I started to implement this organizing/productivity system espoused by David Allen in his book, Getting Things Done. I started this because my life had “expanded to the point where I could no longer keep it all neatly in my head.” This involved collecting all the physical “stuff” (papers and other things that were out of place or hadn’t been dealt with) into a stack and writing out three pages of “brain dump” stuff.
- Wednesday, I took the day off from paid work to fully dive into the new system. This involved plowing through my brain dump pages and my stack o’ stuff, making some cool new forms for my organizer, and plowing through all of my email. At the end of the day, I had neatly categorized all my Stuff, both physical and digital, into organized “projects” and had a completely empty inbox on both accounts.
- Thursday and today, I’ve been Getting Things Done. I haven’t been getting as much done as I usually do, however, because I’m still settling into this new system and tweaking my workflow to fit.
All of this new-systeming has taken a toll on my existing systems, namely, my daily routines. Harp practice has been even more infrequent. My goal to “fill out all my bubbles” on Wednesdays and Thursdays wasn’t met, and I stopped keeping track of what food I’ve been eating. On the positive side, however, I’ve noticed that I’ve been getting through more of my bubbles on a day-to-day basis, not just on Wednesdays and Thursdays, so that gives me hope that I really am developing these habits overall.
Looking forward, this next week is going to be “not normal.” My hubby is going to be working out of town, most likely (one of the reasons why we picked up cell phones, finally), so I will have a lot of free time. I have a lot of baby shower planning and prep to take care of, but I’m hoping I’ll have time to crank out some of the other projects that are now waiting neatly in my project list form. Hopefully I’ll remember to eat, sleep, exercise, and all that.
I’m starting a new section of my weekly update to link to the kind people who have posted relevant comments in the past week and included a link to their blog. I didn’t realize that this blog automatically puts rel=”nofollow” for the comment links. Since this is my first time trying this out, I’ll post links to everyone who’s commented in the short life of this blog so far. (Disclaimer: We’ll see how long this lasts. Maybe I’ll get tired of copying and pasting.)
Thanks for visiting: Marcia (Organizing Queen), Penny (PenguinGirl), AgentSully (Life Learning Today), Ryan Rasmussen, Doodah (Just a Bit of Silliness), Katy (Flipping Heck), Kate (Blog to Discovery) (…is site down?), Danie Ware, Stephen (HD BizBlog), Paige Pooler, Ingrid (The Girl in the Cafe), Gautch, Angela (SummitStar Press), WaterLearner, Adam (Monk at Work), Live Your Life, Melanie (All About Content), Senia, Jon Plummer, Phil (Poker Mac), Dave Seah, Shirley Thompson, LeaLea, Mike Rohde, Lifehack, Laura Hogan, Hyperreality
Now… time for my GTD weekly review!